Last October, I made a navy cashmere and leather coat for one of my dearest friends. I would not call it a success. Since this first coat did not turn out as I had hoped, I simply had to design a new version of the winter coat!
The new coat was first going to be an original and modern twist on a particular vintage style. (I’m being vague in my description because I hope to eventually make this vintage design myself.) But since I didn’t have time to make a mock-up and test the vintage design, I decided to be safe and use the Burdastyle 01/2011 #126 Winter Coat Pattern size 38.
Like the earlier coat pattern, this coat pattern was not made/designed to have lining. At first I didn’t think twice and added navy quilted polyester lining to the body of the coat and charcoal wool lining to the lapels and collar.
Oh how wrong I was to do this!
Before connecting the lining layers to the outer layers, I tested the pieces on myself. The quilted/wool lining was much too thick and extremely heavy around the neck (I literally felt like Scrooge with chains around my neck).
As a result, I swapped the quilted polyester and wool lining for a lightweight polyester lining. Because the charcoal wool was already heavy in weight and super stiff, in the end I decided not to line the collar and lapels.
I also left the collar and lapel edges unfinished. The wool didn’t unravel at the edges when it was cut and I decided the overall appearance would look better if I left the edges unfinished.
I hope to have 1 or 2 more coats posted before spring!
Stay warm and thanks for reading!